DA calls for ban on blue-light brigades

Mr David Mahlobo.

MBOMBELA – The DA has called for the banning of blue lights in Mpumalanga.

According to MP, Mr Ken Robertson, deputy chairman of the DA in the province, “ANC elites cannot be trusted to use them responsibly”.

“Last week the family of Mr Herman van Schalkwyk had to revisit the pain of the death of their loved one, who died at the hands of ANC blue-light abuse.”

The fatal accident was caused by a blue-light convoy of state security minister, Mr David Mahlobo, and his VIP security.

The DA was present at the Lothair Magistrate’s Court when Mahlobo’s VIP driver, Mr Stanley Mngadi, briefly appeared on Tuesday for the fatal accident in which Van Schalkwyk died in December last year.

Van Schalkwyk who was 63 at the time, died in a head-on collision between one of Mahlobo’s official vehicles and another car along the R33 in Amsterdam near Piet Retief. It is alleged that after the accident, Mahlobo’s convoy stopped and loaded the occupants of the vehicle which was in the collision and left the scene of the accident.

 

According to Robertson, this was in violation of the Road Traffic Act 93 of 1996 which stipulates that in the case of an accident where an animal or human is killed, the driver or occupants may not leave the scene of the accident.

“Nobody is above the law,” he said. “Mahlobo and members of his VIP protection must be brought to account for the death of Van Schalkwyk.”

He pointed out that it was not an isolated tragedy. Robertson cited the death of

Ms Tholakele Masimula on September 23 in Piet Retief after a head-on collision with a blue-light brigade convoy transporting the executive mayor of Mkhondo Local Municipality, as well as incidents in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.

“Where the DA governs, we have banned blue lights, and recently in Tshwane, mayor Solly Msimanga announced that the DA government in that city stops at red lights and waits in traffic like every other road user.

“This is the servants’ governance that South Africa deserves,” Robertson said.

The case was transferred to the Ermelo Magistrate’s Court for a trial date to be set on January 30.

Read more: 

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
The rising sap