Although the Lowveld is full of fun and informative gems, the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency (MTPA) has selected six that are guaranteed to beef up your knowledge about the region.
- South Africa’s first stock exchange was built in the town of Barberton in 1884 during the gold rush.
- Makhonjwa Mountains in Barberton boast the oldest rock formations in the world dating back 3,5 billion years.
- The Blyde River Canyon is the third largest in the world and the largest green canyon.
- The Kruger National Park is 19 485 hectares in size.
- The Sudwala Caves are the oldest known dolomite caves in the world. These caves are approximately 2 000 million years old.
- After Kimberley, Pilgrim’s Rest was the second town in South Africa to be electrified. The electricity was generated from a hydro electrical plant in the Blyde River Canyon built in 1911.